MCDUFFIE-TWIN PARKS NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
BOARD MEETING – April 17, 2013 – 6:30 pm
at Barry Simon’s home: 4110 Marble NE
MINUTES

(Approved at 05.15.13 Board Meeting)
Board Members Attending: Barry Simon, Laurie Moye, Carla Kugler, Carol Morris, Larry
Seebinger, Mark Hyland, Maggie Peterson
Board Members Absent: Dan Drennan, Bill Hoch

1.  The meeting was called to order at 6:35 pm.

2. Minutes
Minutes from the last Board Meeting on February 13, 2013 were reviewed and
unanimously approved as amended.
a) Item #3, page 1, amended to clarify Bill Hoch’s position: “Bill Hoch as
our District 7 Coalition Representative….”
b) Barry also updated the Board about Jeff West’s Special Variance Request
at 715 Morningside NE. Mr. West notified houses within 100 feet of his
home about the Variance Request. Only one house had a question about it
and that was satisfactorily answered. (We don’t want the Neighborhood
Association handling complaints about Special Variance Requests from
neighborhood residents.

3. Treasurer’s Report
Carla said that she and Maggie had met to review their respective membership lists:
1) Maggie had 55 people on her email list who were not on Carla’s list (meaning that
they had not paid membership dues); and 2) Carla had 33 people on her list who were not
on Maggie’s email list. Maggie recently sent out another email reminder for 2012
membership dues, and Carla reported that 28 people had sent in money, 9 of them being
completely new members.

Currently, our membership is at 115 households, and the bank balance is $1,261.00
after paying $100 for the climbing wall at Fly-A-Kite Day.
The Treasurer’s Report was unanimously approved.

OLD BUSINESS

4. Fly-A-Kite Day
There was a general discussion about the event last Saturday, April 13, at Twin Parks. It
was a big success with about 50-75 people attending. Next year we’ll need to purchase
more kites because the ones we bought last year were all used up this year. We’ll need to
find sponsors for that, as well as the climbing wall, which was also very popular. Next
year we might hold the event from 2:00 – 4:00 pm for better wind. Laurie wants to
upgrade our website with a link to Fly-A-Kite and the Taos banner maker. Joran Viers
was very well received, and Laurie Moyes moved and Carol seconded, that our N.A.
give him a $50 gift card as thanks for his (unpaid) time and appearance. Perhaps we
will host him at another upcoming event.

5. Hidden Park
Carol gave a report on the Hidden Park Committee: Jim & Sylvia Krumhansl are
currently filling the dog bag dispensers and will ask Diana Solano, Area Supervisor of
Parks & Recreation, for two more dispensers for the park, as well as a covered garbage
can for the west end of the park. They will also ask about filling in the holes on the
existing path around the park. Sprinklers are still an issue, as is lighting, which is either
too bright or not bright enough in some areas. Laurie said that sometimes shields can be
put on lights to reduce fugitive light. She will get more information about shields.
Laurie also explained City policy on lights, which is only to have them at intersections
and not mid-block. Easements are needed for any new poles and lines.
Off-leash dogs and owners who do not pick up after their dogs were discussed. Barry
will call Animal Control and ask for an increase in patrols. Laurie suggested placing
signs around the park like the “Slow Down Albuquerque” signs that could easily be
placed just outside park entrances and say something such as, “This is not a Dog Park.
Please leash your animals and pick up after them.”
The next Hidden Park Committee meeting is Wednesday, May 1, at 6:30 pm at Trish
Wagner’s home.

6. Grants Committee
Larry and Maggie noted that the while the Grant Committee will write the actual grants,
they are relying on the Hidden Park and/or Twin Parks Committees to come up with
ideas and priorities, perhaps to include bulletin boards and mini-libraries. The Grants
Committee has been invited to the next Hidden Park Committee on Wednesday, May 1,
at 6:30 pm.

7. Safety & Transportation
Barry reported that he spoke with Tony Duran in Mike Cook’s office about plans for a
stoplight at Carlisle and Mackland, and was told “not now.”

8. Bulletin Boards/Mini-Libraries
Covered under Grants Committee discussion, #6 above.

9. Block Representatives
Barry will call Sandy Pino to find out who the Block Captains are in our neighborhood.
A decision about our N.A. funding the $10/year fee for Block Captains, which is a
national program, was tabled until we find the names of all our Block Captains.

NEW BUSINESS

10. Twin Parks Committee
Carol reported that she’d had a brief conversation with one resident who lives on Twin
Parks about a bulletin board for the park, and although the resident was initially skeptical,
later on during Fly-A-Kite Day, she said that she might be interested in something that
was “aesthetically pleasing.” There was also discussion during the Board Meeting about
asking the Twin Parks people if our N.A. could publicize on our website their
Luminaria and Caroling Night. There is currently no active Twin Parks Committee.

11. Movie-in-the-Park Committee
This will be held on Saturday, July 6, in Hidden Park, and will include a dessert potluck
and family movie. Jim & Sylvia Krumhansl have offered to let us use their power.
Barry has a projector, but we still need a screen. Maggie will send out an email asking
for four people to join the Committee. Anyone interested should contact Barry.

12. Open Board Seat
Since Dan Drennan will be moving to Tacoma for a new job, his Board seat will be open.
After Barry receives Dan’s resignation letter, Maggie will send out an email soliciting
nominations for his replacement.

13. Upcoming Board Meetings
Board Meetings from now until the Annual Meeting on September 18, will be held on the
third Wednesday of each month, except for July 10. All meetings will be at 6:30 pm at
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church (431 Richmond Place NE 87106). Dates for upcoming
Board Meetings are: May 15, June 19, July 10, and August 21.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 pm.

Respectfully Submitted –
Maggie Peterson,
Secretary, McDuffie-Twin Parks Neighborhood Association

Advertisements